This article was originally published on https://msiafterburnerguide.com/how-to-open-msi-files-on-mac/
MSI files are Windows Installer Packages. They’re used to install, repair, and remove software on Windows systems. If you have a program that needs to be installed on a Mac, it’s likely that the file will be in MSI format.
How to Open MSI Files on Mac
There’s no native or built-in way to open up a .msi file on mac, so you’ll need an application that can handle this type of courtesy.
Msi files, also known as installer packages or application archive programs are typically compressed with an appropriate tool to save space.
This means that you will need some sort of decompression software in order for your desired program’s components to be extracted properly from within it – which can sometimes get tricky if they’re not available on Windows’ own menu systems!
Unfortunately, there isn’t always a user-friendly way around these issues; however, I recommend using 7-Zip (a free edition) since most other options don’t work well without paying the fees associated with them.
Keka is a free app that can open .MSI files. There are many other utilities out there but this one works well and has been approved by Apple so we’ll use it for our procedure below!
Steps to Open the MSI File Using Keka
Step 1: Navigate to the location of your .msi file using Finder.
Step 2: Using Keka, extract the.msi file.
Step 3: The Keka program will make a new folder for you with all of the files from the.msi file.
Step 4: You can now see all of the files in the new folder, which was created by the .msi. The folder’s name will be identical to the file’s but without the .msi extension.
Step 5: You may try opening any of these files, but many of them will be binary files, so don’t expect them to be readable.
Now that you’ve extracted the files from the .msi file into a folder, you may do anything with them. I hope after reading this guide, you’ll understand how to open MSI files on a Mac.
- How Google Makes Money From Google Docs
- Difference Between Flash Drive And Thumb Drive – Tech Around Now
- Set the Sound, the Ringtones and the Volume on your Android device – Android VIP Club
- Apple iPhone Batterygate Claim – Gadgets Name
- Top 7 HR Management Software for All Types of Businesses
Are there any disadvantages to opening MSI files on a Mac compared to a PC?
Yes, there are some disadvantages to opening MSI files on a Mac. One is that you won’t be able to use any features that rely on Windows-specific components. For example, you won’t be able to install or run any programs that require the Windows installer (msiexec.exe).
Additionally, you may encounter problems viewing certain types of content, such as video or audio files. However, these disadvantages are typically outweighed by the benefits of being able to open and view MSI files on a Mac.
How do you convert an MSI file to a DMG file so that it can be opened on a Mac without any issues?
There are a few different ways to convert an MSI file to a DMG file. One is to use a free online converter tool, such as FileZigZag or Zamzar. Another is to use a paid converter tool, such as MacPaw’s “The Unarchiver” application. Finally, you can use the Terminal application on your Mac to convert the MSI file to a DMG file. We’ll show you how to do this last method below.
To convert an MSI file to a DMG file using the Terminal application, follow these steps:
1. Launch the Terminal application. You can find this application in the Utilities folder, which is located in the Applications folder.
2. Type the following command into the Terminal window, replacing “input_file.msi” with the name of your MSI file:
hdiutil convert input_file.msi -format UDTO -o output_file.dmg
3. Press the Enter key. This will start the conversion process.
4. Once the conversion is complete, you can find the DMG file in the same directory as the MSI file. You can now double-click on this file to open it on your Mac.
What are some of the best third-party software options for opening MSI files on a Mac?”
There are a few different third-party software options that you can use to open MSI files on a Mac. One option is VLC, which is a free and open-source media player. Another option is 7-Zip, which is a free file archiver. Finally, you can use The Unarchiver, which is a paid file archiver. All of these software options are available for download from their respective websites.
- Number to Dial to see if your Phone Is Tapped? How to Untap it? – Aspartin
- Intel-Powered Gunnir Arc A380 Photon Will get Overclocked And Good points Up To 60% In Video games
- Top 8 Unblocked Game Sites You Can Play While at School
- How To Undervolt GPU? The Ultimate Guide to Undervolting Nvidia’s GPU – Techsuperman
I hope after reading this article, you’ll understand how to open MSI files on a Mac. If you found this article helpful, please share it with your friends and family who may also need help opening a .msi file on their Mac. And, as always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them in the Comments section below. We love hearing from our readers and we will do our best to answer any questions that you may have.